Does HBV have window period?
Apr 8, 2002
Dear Doc, does the HBV have a window period like HIV? Also how long after infection does it take to clear the virus COMPLETELY from the system?
Response from Dr. Fried
The window period or incubation period is approximately 6 weeks to 6 months after exposure. For most adults who may acquire HBV but then clear it, the virus is gone very rapidly within a few weeks (or less). For someone who develops chronic infection, HBV is always detectabke in the blood. Blood tests can show the exact stage of infection and demonstrate clearance/ the development of protective immunity.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Long Does It Take For The Hiv Virus To Become Full Aids?
- Sore And Swollen Ankles Due To Hep C
- What Has Caused The Evolution Of Drug-resistant Strains Of Hiv?
- Can Someone Be Hiv Positive For Many Years And Not Know It?
- Lymph Node Biopsy And Hiv
- What Would Happen If You Had Sex With Someone That Had Genital Warts?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.