For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Lung Cancer show positive for A,B,C, hepatitus

My husband has lung cancer and had test for HCV. But the other part said (Positive results indicate detection of antibodies to proteins expressed by the structural (HC-34) and Nonstructural (HC-31 and c100-31) regions of the HCV genome. Another part says on Footnotes: HCV AB test detects the antibody responce to Hepatitus virus. If the HCV AB is negative, the patient either has not been exposed to the virus, or may be in the early stage of the infection when the HCV AB is not detectable.

What does this all mean. I went to get tested because the doctor said I might have the same thing. He was tested a year ago and showed negative. How come

Response from Dr. Fried

Concerning the hepatitis C results, your husband was exposed to hepatitis C- the anti-HCV and a supplemental assay was positive. To determine if he still carries the virus, another test to look for the virus itself, HCV RNA, should be performed.

The risk of sexual transmission for HCV is very low. Nevertheless, it is recommended that the spouse/partner of someone with HCV get tested on one occasion, mostly for piece of mind.