low white cell count help

I have been on peginterferon and rebetol for 4 months. I have just received word my white blood count is low. What does this mean. I am very ill and just this week gave up work-too stressful. A hematologist from the lab called to tell me my white count is down and they want me to see my doctor immediately. What could this mean?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This is one of the relatively common side effect of peginterferon. It can easily be treated with GMCSF or GCSF which should usually be given in two doses per week. It is usually not something terrible and can be treated successfully. Some people also lower the peg dose at the same time. Good luck! DTD

Genotype 4
Hepatitis C Antibody