|High ast and alt levels
Mar 22, 2002
Hi, My brother who has downsyndrom went for blood test and his ast(sgot) was 67 and his alt (sgpt) was 147 what should i do? Is this serious? Thank You! Madelene
| Response from Dr. Fried
Those numbers indicate that the liver enzymes are elevated and that the liver is irritated (hepatitis). This can be due to many, many things including viral hepatitis or reaction to medications. He should be fully evaluated. His healthcare professional will likely begin the evaluation by performing additional blood tests to look for certain diseases.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Does A High Alt Level Always Mean Hepatitis?
- Groin Pain After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Hair Loss After Vaginal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Headache After Kissing Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Biting Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Urethra After Rubbing Stripper Worried I Have
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.