why no liver biopsy

In May 1999 I was diagnosed with hepatitis C. I just recently completed a year of rebetron, interferon treatment in Oct. 2001. My Dr did not feel it necessary to give me a liver biopsy. Another ddoctor told me that a biopsy is part of the diagnostic procedure. Under what circumstances would you feel it not necessary to take a liver biopsy? Why would a doctor skip this if it is part of the procedure?

Response from Dr. Fried

A liver biopsy is the only accurate way to know the true status of your liver in regards to the presence of inflammation (irritation) or fibrosis (scarring). Your doctor may not have performed a liver biopsy if he/she felt there were contraindications or if there was clinical evidence that fibrosis was present. Some doctors feel genotypes two or three do not need biopsies since the response to treatment is so good. In my practice, I almost always perform liver biopsies so I can get the most accurate picture of the patients liver disease. This information is very helpful to the patient in understanding their prognosis.

Missing A.M. Rebetrol - pills
More information needed on Hep B virus