continued use of rebatron therapy?

Sir, I found out I have Hep C in may '00, and was told I need 6 months of rebratron treatments. My question is ; How long besides the 6 months of meds. do I have to take. I am currently injecting 3 MIU of interferon 3 times a week and taking 1000 mg of rebetron pills weekly. I've been told that this is helping me but for how long will I have to continue the use of these drugs. Thank You Russell

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Russell, The standard course of Rebetron is 6 months for genotype 2 and 3, and 12 months for all other genotypes. If the medicine is working, it can eradicate the virus from your body so it will be gone forever. The pegylated interferon was approved this month, so it may soon be easier for you to take the medicine, only once per week. Good luck! DTD

hepatitis c
just want to know