failed rebetron, now have neuropathy and joint pain

hi doc, my hiv health is good, been on d4t, 3tc, viracept for 3 years without neuropathy. i did rebetron for 8 months unfortunately failed. i am left with neuropathy almost completely in hands, which hadn't been a problem before rebetron. also, i am having joint pain particularly in the hands, the thumb is almost inoperable. i believe there is some slight joint swelling. any thoughts on why this happened. i've still got plenty of nerve. i'd like to try consensus interferon 5 x weekly if my doc will let me, which i doubt. what do you think? thanks in advance!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Thanks, There is a small incidence of neuropathy that is associated with both hepatitis C and interferon. I would suggest that you ask your MD to check you for cryoglobulins. They can cause neuropathy. In addition, ask your MD to check your serum lactate level. Mitochondrial toxicity of the nucleosides can also cause neuropathy. Pegylated interferon might be a better bet now that it is approved. Good luck! DTD

Liver Biopsy
pegylated interferon clinical trials