I gave blood two weeks ago. I just received a letter saying that my alt levels were high. Does this mean that I have hepatitis?

Response from Dr. Fried

By definition, "hepatitis" means inflammation of the liver which is shown by the presence of elevated ALT or AST. Many things can cause abnormal liver enzymes: viral hepatitis, alcohol, medications, fatty infiltration of the liver, etc. You should take the letter to your primary doctor so he/she can do some simple blood tests and see what, if anything, is going on and whether further evaluation is necessary.