liver damage

Hx, 50 year old male Hep C for 30 years now genotype 1a, normal LFTS, PCR load 1200000. No biopsy yet to be done soon. My question I am leaning towards rx if the virus is cleared does the damage to the liver stop also. Do not drink have not for 17 years. Had a radical prostatectomy at 44 years old. Took a lot of percocets for that 3 or 4 at a time for pain did they do any damage (I am not takeing them now)any help would be thankful

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Sounds like you are doing everything right. The good news is if you clear the virus all the biopsy findings will reverse and it will go back to normal as long as it is not cirrhotic. Even then it may improve. The other good news is that even if you don't clear, the biopsy will still improve from the years worth of treatment. Good luck! DTD

PCR RNA
HBV infection after the first vaccine dose