Mar 4, 2002
I am confused as to whether I am asking about specifcity or sensitivity...but in regards to accuracy (meaning not false pos or neg) is a PCR RNA Quan or Qual generally more consistent?
| Response from Dr. Dieterich
HCV PCR Qualitative is usually sensitive down to 50 copies while the Quant is to 600-1000 copies. Not really that important because unlike HIV HCV very rarely lives down at that low level. I always use the quant, no real reason to use the qual and there are more false positive with the qual. DTD
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Happens When You Take The Hpv Vaccine But Already Have Genital Warts?
- What Can I Use Over The Counter To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Antibiotics Are Used To Treat Chlamydia?
- Treatment For Perineal Herpes Sore
- How Long Does It Take To Get Syphilis Results?
- Symptoms Of Advanced Gonorrhea
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.