Mar 4, 2002
I am confused as to whether I am asking about specifcity or sensitivity...but in regards to accuracy (meaning not false pos or neg) is a PCR RNA Quan or Qual generally more consistent?
Response from Dr. Dieterich
HCV PCR Qualitative is usually sensitive down to 50 copies while the Quant is to 600-1000 copies. Not really that important because unlike HIV HCV very rarely lives down at that low level. I always use the quant, no real reason to use the qual and there are more false positive with the qual. DTD
- Can AIDS Be Transmitted Through Condom?
- Can You Catch HIV From Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation?
- Can You Get HIV From Sex Toys?
- Chances Of Getting HIV From Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation
- What Is The Risk Of Getting HIV From Piercing?
- Are Red Spots An Acute Symptom Of HIV?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.