Mar 4, 2002
I am confused as to whether I am asking about specifcity or sensitivity...but in regards to accuracy (meaning not false pos or neg) is a PCR RNA Quan or Qual generally more consistent?
Response from Dr. Dieterich
HCV PCR Qualitative is usually sensitive down to 50 copies while the Quant is to 600-1000 copies. Not really that important because unlike HIV HCV very rarely lives down at that low level. I always use the quant, no real reason to use the qual and there are more false positive with the qual. DTD
- Does Thrush Cause Chest Pain?
- Where Do You Get Swollen Lymph Nodes If You Have Hiv?
- Can You Be An Hiv Carrier And Still Be Negative?
- Can A Person Be Hiv Positive For Years And Have No Symptoms?
- Can You Get Hepatitis From Nail Clippers?
- How Long Can You Test Negative For Hiv While Actually Being Positive?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.