My 2 year old Daugher

Sorry - He has HCV - Hepatitis C and is currently on PEG-INTRON treatment.

My husband left his tooth pick out on the sink. He had just finished doing his teeth and he is almost positive he cleaned it off. My 2 year old daughter decided to go to the potty and picked it up and put it in her mouth. We are nervous/anxious God for bid there was a little blood on there? What should we do. How long do I wait to get her tested. If it is only a drop does it matter?

We are very upset and need some advice. I called the Dr. and am waiting for a call back

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Well ,if this is the case probably your husband has a decreased viral load in the blood and this decreases the risk dramatically.There are studies of paramedical staff with needles punctures,from HCV patients without treatment and the risk is less than HIV,and less than .1%.Relax.You may want to have a HCVRNA PCR in the next 2-3 weeks,or a HCV ab in 6 months,but I just say this because I know that you will not rest in peace till you see the result. Also, do not be hard on your husband,these things may happen to anybody.

hOW MANY YEARS BEFORE DIEING?
HCV-infection through blood in food