ALT level prognostic of immune response?
Feb 27, 2002
Dr. Dieterich, In cases of viral hepatitis, do lower ALT's and AST's indicate a poorer immune response to the infection? Thanks for all your good help to us.
Response from Dr. Dieterich
Yes that is generally true, but there are a lot of exceptions to that rule. Unfortunately, liver disease can progress to cirrhosis without ever revealing itself in an elevated ALT. However inflammation on the biopsy is in a broad way related to AST and ALT. DTD
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Too Scared To Get Tested After Sex With A Prostitute
- Dark Bumps After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Herpes After Sex With Sex Worker Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Oral Sex Hooker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Penis After Touching Vaginal Fluid Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Urination After Anal Sex Top Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.