ALT level prognostic of immune response?
Feb 27, 2002
Dr. Dieterich, In cases of viral hepatitis, do lower ALT's and AST's indicate a poorer immune response to the infection? Thanks for all your good help to us.
Response from Dr. Dieterich
Yes that is generally true, but there are a lot of exceptions to that rule. Unfortunately, liver disease can progress to cirrhosis without ever revealing itself in an elevated ALT. However inflammation on the biopsy is in a broad way related to AST and ALT. DTD
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Muscle Ache An Early Sign Of HIV?
- Purple Spots Could I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Blowjob Worried I Have HIV
- Dizziness After Having Sex During Period Worried I Have HIV
- Dry Mouth After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.