Too Old for Hepatitis Vaccine?

Dear Dr. D:

I visited my doctor today and asked him that I heard that all gay men should be vaccinated against Hepatitis. He said that at my age (51), the vaccine would only have about a 25% effective rate. He said that the older you are when you receive the vaccine, the less effective it is.

Is this true? Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Andrew,

It is less effective when you get older, but not that much less effective. At any rate how do you know in advance whether it will be effective? I would still recommend giving it. There is no downside risk except very rare allergic reactions. In addition, the older you are when you get hepatitis B, the worse the outcome! Good luck! DTD

Surface antigen test
Pegulated Interferon: FDA Approval?