|Which PEG Interferon is best?
Dec 19, 2000
Dear Dr. Dieterich,
I recently read that latest research showed that PEG Interferon Alpha 2a was more effective than Peg Interferon Alpha 2b for the treatment of Hepatitis C, genotype 1 infection. I would appreciate your opinion on the following:
1. Is it true that PEG Interferon Alpha 2a (Pegasys) mono-therapy is more effective than the combination of PEG Interferon Alpha 2b (PEG Intron) plus Ribavirin?
2. If not, what promises to be the most effective treatment for Hep-C, genotype 1?
Thank your for your comments on that.
Response from Dr. Dieterich
I don't know where you read that, there has been no comparison studies of either pegs. Peg monotherapy is not quite as effective as interferon 3X per week with ribavirin. However peg plus ribavirin is very effective and that is where the standard of care will be very soon. It is a particular advantage in genotype 1. DTD
- Can Hepatitis C Cause Nausea?
- How Much Does Hep B Treatment Cost?
- Would My Boyfriend Get Chlamydia If I Didn't Tell Him The First Time
- Will I Always Test Positive For Hpv?
- What Kind Of Doctor Does A Guy Need To Go To For Genital Warts?
- What Happens If You Have Unprotected Sex And You Have Hpv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.