Which PEG Interferon is best?

Dear Dr. Dieterich,

I recently read that latest research showed that PEG Interferon Alpha 2a was more effective than Peg Interferon Alpha 2b for the treatment of Hepatitis C, genotype 1 infection. I would appreciate your opinion on the following:

1. Is it true that PEG Interferon Alpha 2a (Pegasys) mono-therapy is more effective than the combination of PEG Interferon Alpha 2b (PEG Intron) plus Ribavirin?

2. If not, what promises to be the most effective treatment for Hep-C, genotype 1?

Thank your for your comments on that.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I don't know where you read that, there has been no comparison studies of either pegs. Peg monotherapy is not quite as effective as interferon 3X per week with ribavirin. However peg plus ribavirin is very effective and that is where the standard of care will be very soon. It is a particular advantage in genotype 1. DTD

hepatitis B
hepatitis c