T-cell<400 Treatment for HCV

Are there HCV treatments for persons with tc<400?

I was told that I may not get treatment because my tcells

was 311 vl<50. When I got my labs back I was please with the tcell raise they were 184 vl<50 back in July of this year when my Dr change my meds from nfv azt/3tc to nfv d4t/3tc because of low wbc 2.6 thou/cmm the wbc went up to 5.0 and tc 243 vl<50 4 weeks later. Now tc is 311 vl<50 wbc 3.8 My tc were 42 vl 650k when I started meds June'97 vl<400 5 months later and have been undetectable. OK this is good news. Now what about HCV I ask my Dr. my AST 104 IU/L, ALT 110 IL/L and platelet is 112 THOU/CMM These values were not this high or low like this. The 3 yr adv. was AST=55,ALT=60 and platelet=140 I talk my Dr into giving me HCV VL and HCV genotype test. No liver biopsy, I did not want one tell the other test are back. My Dr told me that they usually do not treat HCV with tc<400. Where can I get more information about this. Thank you so much.

Louis

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Louis,

There is no reason to not treat because of t cells. The chance of a cure may be slightly lower, but there are other benefits as well as a cure, the biopsy will look better the HCV viral load will be lower and you may even liver longer! There is plenty of literature out there just recently published articles in the archives of internal medicine and the Lancet are good summaries. DTD

Re: Should i wait for pegylated interferon?
PLEASE HELP ME, I AM PREGNANT.