Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

T-cell<400 Treatment for HCV
Dec 20, 2000

Are there HCV treatments for persons with tc<400?

I was told that I may not get treatment because my tcells

was 311 vl<50. When I got my labs back I was please with the tcell raise they were 184 vl<50 back in July of this year when my Dr change my meds from nfv azt/3tc to nfv d4t/3tc because of low wbc 2.6 thou/cmm the wbc went up to 5.0 and tc 243 vl<50 4 weeks later. Now tc is 311 vl<50 wbc 3.8 My tc were 42 vl 650k when I started meds June'97 vl<400 5 months later and have been undetectable. OK this is good news. Now what about HCV I ask my Dr. my AST 104 IU/L, ALT 110 IL/L and platelet is 112 THOU/CMM These values were not this high or low like this. The 3 yr adv. was AST=55,ALT=60 and platelet=140 I talk my Dr into giving me HCV VL and HCV genotype test. No liver biopsy, I did not want one tell the other test are back. My Dr told me that they usually do not treat HCV with tc<400. Where can I get more information about this. Thank you so much.

Louis

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Louis,

There is no reason to not treat because of t cells. The chance of a cure may be slightly lower, but there are other benefits as well as a cure, the biopsy will look better the HCV viral load will be lower and you may even liver longer! There is plenty of literature out there just recently published articles in the archives of internal medicine and the Lancet are good summaries. DTD

Previous
Re: Should i wait for pegylated interferon?
Next
PLEASE HELP ME, I AM PREGNANT.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.