HBc positive and HBs negative

Dear Dr. Dieterich, I completed my 3 HB vaccinations two month ago. 30 days later, a test showed a sufficient concentration of HBs antibody in my blood according my nurse. However, last week (about 70-80 days after the last vaccination) another test by "red cross" showed that I am HBc antibody positive and HBs antibody negative, because of that, my donated 500 ml blood was discarded. Can you explain if such a situation can happen? and if so, what is the significance of the results?

Thanks you for any answers.

LLoyd

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Lloyd,

That means that you probably already had HBV and have cleared the infection on your own, presuming of course that you are HBSAg negative and e Ag negative. If you were only tested for HBSAb, and were negative and not for HBCAb, before then that would explain what happened. Sounds like you are fine, stay that way!DTD

CHEST PIMPLES
10 year old daughter with Hep C