Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

alcoholic hepatitis and hepatitis C
Jan 5, 2001

Dear Doctor, I have two of the most loved and wonderful sons in the world. One has Hepatitis C and has taken interferon without success. He is doing good however with lots of vitamins and a healthy diet. Is there any typical amount of time when things usually get worse? He has been affected for over twenty years. Also, my other son has been in a hospital in France for three months. He has been diagnosed with alcohol hepatitis along with cirrhosis of the liver. He does not speak French and cannot communicate with the Doctors or nurses to learn much about his progress etc. In all this time nothing has changed other than his hallucinations are gone and his legs and feet are not swollen anymore. Needless to say how disillusioned my son Marc is as he cries every time I call only wanting to come home to the USA where he can be with people who he understands and who understand him along with us who love him. My heart is broken and I am so sad and anxious I can barely function anymore. Anything you can tell me about this, whether good or bad would be deeply appreciated. And...if you happen to know someone with a jet that would go get him and bring him back here, I will gladly pay and will be indebted to you and them forever. Thank you for your precious time. I appreciate it and any answers you may have. Sincerely, Bonnie (Marc's mother) PS I would also gladly pay any Doctor that speaks French that could possibly get in touch with his Doctors and translate to me what is going on so I can tell my son.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Mom,

Sorry to hear about your sons' troubles. The best prognostic indicator for hepatitis C is a liver biopsy. That will help him decide on future therapy. The new pegylated interferons will be available this year and he may be a candidate, the cure rate is in the 60% range!

As for your other son, my fellow speaks French and I will ask her to speak to your son's doctors. Her name is Lavina and you can call her. She will be going into practice in Florida soon! Good luck and Happy New Year! DTD

Previous
Thank you
Next
HEP C - SGPT RESULT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.