cytomegalovirus.....What is It?

I have a very serious question to ask, I do not understand. My best friend has had a baby whom has been diagnosed with cytomegalvirous. She is a very healthy woman but had a difficult pregnancy, the baby was taken approximately 6 weeks early. She has one healthy child, I do not understand this disease not do they. Must you have HIV to contact this disease? Am I at risk to be in contact with her or the baby?

I have read we all carry this CMV virus but it is only more apparent in people whom are HIV positive. Please tell me the effects that are known and if there is anything I can share with them for there babies sake. I love these people dearly and can only try to help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Peggy,

CMV is a common virus to afflict the second born child. It is treatable if it is symptomatic as it can be in people with poor immune systems like babies or people with HIV. In children it will usually go away with age unless it is causing problems and then it can and should be treated! Have them talk to their pediatrician about it! DTD

side affects from interferon