The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I get infected?
Jan 19, 2001

I had sex with a sex-worker. The intercourse was with a condom and that too for just 30 seconds to 1 minute. Also there was oral sex before this with the condom. Now before intercourse she applied cream to her vagina. Also after intercourse she pulled out the condom. So essentially her hands had some vaginal fluid which she might have passed on to my hands by touch. Even though my hands did not feel any wetness. Before taking a bath and about 10-15 minutes after the encounter I touched my hands to my eyes, once, and also once I touched my nostril. Now the virus can be passed through mucous membranes of the eyes and the nose, so I am worried. Also after the sexual act, I realized that just below my hands I had been scratched and there was slight open wound. So her hands could also have touched this wound. Hence I am extremely worried. Please advice. Please let me know how long the virus can last outside the body in some vaginal fluid on the skin surface (say of the hands) or on clothes? I took the HIV1-2 DNA PCR test after about 11 days of the occurrence of this incident. The report did not show any presence of the virus. Is this test good enough? Do I still have to undergo a Elisa test? If I must do the Elisa test then after how many months of the incident shall I do the test?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It sounds like very low risk behavior. Most people have an antibody test 3 and or 6 months after a possible exposure. DTD

Worried Sick!!!
How do I prevent HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint