Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Sick!!!
Jan 19, 2001

Hi Doctor,

I was just tested at 25 days after possible infection. After spending countless hours on the internet, I believe I have had every symptom listed. I am extremely worried and am unable to even participate at school. My question to you is this; after being tested at 25 days and receiving a negative result, then at exactly 5 weeks(exactly 35days) I started to experience: Major shivers, night sweats, aching muscles, slight headache, nausea, lymph node swelling in neck only...these all lasted about two days. I experienced the muscle aches(which felt more weak than sore)up until tues of this week. My only symptoms at this point, a burning sensation on my upper back and triceps of both arms(I am a black male, so visual inspection can be somewhat difficult), these come and go especially when I start thinking about this whole thing. My question is; is it possible to have a negative test then have ARS. Also, if I had a another test at this point will the antibodies be numerous enough to be detected by the Elisa and/or EIA. Sorry for the being long winded, but this is horrifying. Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Worried,

It is possible to have a negative antibody test at 35 days so you should have another or an HIV PCR. What you are describing could be HIV or it could just be a cold, which is much more likely. Get tested again! DTD

Previous
Hepatitis B and Vaginal fluids
Next
Can I get infected?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.