Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pegalated Inteferon Approval Soon? Three questions...
Jan 19, 2001

Three questions regarding Peg Interferon: Do you have any idea when pegalated interferon will be approved by the FDC? I've had a liver biopsy and mildly elevated enzymes. My GI doc has left it up to me as to when to begin therapy. The biopsy results were OK - on as scale of 1 to 10, he would rate my liver about a 3. I tested non-A, non-B about 20 years ago. HCV viral load is about 500.000. HIV <50 and T-cells hovering around 150 on a slow downward trend. The question is should I wait for pegalated interferon's approval? Or should I bite the bullet and start combo therapy now? My hesitation is based on the impression that peg is more easily tolerated in terms of side effects, that once a week injections make it more likely that I'll stick to the schedule and that peg seems more effective. In addtion, I've been offered participation in a three arm study comparing peg with ribavirin, non peg with ribavirin and peg without ribavirin. Being a blinded study, the possiblity of no ribavirin does not seem very attractive to me. Do you have an opinion? Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Actually, the study is a pretty good deal. Peg by itself is pretty good but better with ribavirin. We are expecting approval of the peg first quarter this year. Decision is still yours. I am a big advocate of clinical trials. DTD

Previous
Window Period for Hepatitis B
Next
I have had mutual masturbation, am i at risk?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.