IL-2 Clinical trial question

I am considering a clinical trial for HCV-HIV co-infection with IL-2, Interferon and Ribavirin. My doctor is unfamiliar with IL-2. Do any of you have experience with this? What is the purpose of adding it as a 3rd drug in this trial? What are the benefits? Risks? Anything special I should know or consider? Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

IL 2 should increase your CD4 count while the interferon may lower it. Depending on the dose, the side effects are similar to interferon's side effects. The idea is to find out if triple combination therapy is better. Downside is really only side effects which might be more than with interferon alone. Good luck! DTD

Rate of fibrosis progression with hcv
Dr. Dieterich, please help...