Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rate of fibrosis progression with hcv
Feb 18, 2002

I am a 40+ year old female who became infected with HCV about 4 years ago. My acute infection produced many symptoms including,jaudice,dark urine, and light colored stools. I do not drink or use drugs and haven't for the past two and a half years. My chronic infection also has with it many debilitating symptoms. I had my biopsy done 6 mo. ago and it showed my liver to already be at stage 2 fibrosis and inflamation with bridging. From all that I have read I am concuding that the "normal" rate of fibrosis progression is around 0.19 and that my biopsy would indicate a progression rate of about 0.5. Am I correct in assuming this and would this indicate that I have a more viremic course that what is usually seen?? Thank you for your time and answer in advance.

Response from Dr. Fried

To make this long story short, there is no such thing as "normal" rate of fibrosis progression with HCV. It depends on many factors, most of which are poorly understood. Clearly, you should not drink alcohol. At stage 2 fibrosis over a relatively short duration of infection, you should seriously discuss treatment options with your gastroenterologist.

Previous
2nd HBV vaccine dose
Next
IL-2 Clinical trial question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.