mellow yellow

I understand that elevations in the bloodd levels of bilirubin causes jaundice. Could slightly high levels give a different yellow tint than very high levels, either in ones eyes, skin or both?

Response from Dr. Fried

Normal levels of bilirubin are less than about 1.0 mg/dl. Jaundice will not be detectable in the eyes until bilirubin levels are greater than 2.0-2.5. A benign condition of the liver, Gilbert's disease, can raise bilirubin levels intermittently. Detecting jaundice in the eyes and skin is notoriously unreliable because of differences in lighting, wall tints, etc that can be very misleading. I would not rely on one's coloring to investigate the presence of lievr disease if you are concerned.

very worried...