The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Start now or wait?
Feb 15, 2002

Dear Dr.

I am HVC+ grade 2 on biopsy and 1a. I have never been on treatment. I have been waiting for peg interferon. My Dr. wants me to start treatment but am not sure if I should start now or wait for the Pegasys version of the peg interferon. I want the best chance of cure with least amount of sides. Start now or wait? Thanks very much

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

If you have high viral load ,(more than 2 million copies),and genotype 1,your best bet is to wait for Pegasys/RBV combination.The data of PegIntron and RBV,was not better thn the results with Rebetron in this group.The available data also suggests that adverse effects with Pegasys/RBV are significantly less than those with Rebetron,and Peg Intron/RBV. The drug should be available in the next 6 months.

Infection Through Saliva?
HIV+ and HEP B+

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint