High ALT Levels

I have high ALT levels around the 300 mark. I am HCV negative and already got my shots for HBV in high school, I also got shots for HAV. My doctor does not know what is causing this high level and I don't know either. What I can tell you is I eat spicy food often, smoke quite a bit, and a little over weigh. Can these be factors for the high ALT?

Response from Dr. Fried

An ALT of 300 indicates that there is ongoing inflammation or irritation to the liver. Your doctor probably looked at other liver enzymes as well. This definitely warrants further evaluation. Spicy food and smoking would not cause this (although a bad idea anyway). If your doctor is not certain what tests to order for further evaluation, ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist or hepatologist.

Drug Testing for a New Job
SICK AFTER 2nd HBV VACINE?!