Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

High ALT Levels
Feb 13, 2002

I have high ALT levels around the 300 mark. I am HCV negative and already got my shots for HBV in high school, I also got shots for HAV. My doctor does not know what is causing this high level and I don't know either. What I can tell you is I eat spicy food often, smoke quite a bit, and a little over weigh. Can these be factors for the high ALT?

Response from Dr. Fried

An ALT of 300 indicates that there is ongoing inflammation or irritation to the liver. Your doctor probably looked at other liver enzymes as well. This definitely warrants further evaluation. Spicy food and smoking would not cause this (although a bad idea anyway). If your doctor is not certain what tests to order for further evaluation, ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist or hepatologist.

Previous
Drug Testing for a New Job
Next
SICK AFTER 2nd HBV VACINE?!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.