Liver Biopsy More Questions

A liver biopsy is indicated in many circumstances when liver enzymes remain chronically abnormal" you wrote in a previous response titled "Liver Biopsy". My qn. is do you feel 72 ALT is significantly abnormal? My confusion is greater as some labs have reference range for ALT of 0-40 while most I have had have reference range of 0-60. Which reference range do you consider more accurate of what normal should be?

Response from Dr. Fried

That's correct, the range of normal can vary and individual results are judged against the normal values. But if the ALT remains chronically elevated, above the normal range for your lab, it is likely there is something irritating the liver. In addition to many blood tests to exclude viral hepatitis and hereditary disorders of the liver, your doctor may want to perform a liver biopsy. Not everyone needs a liver biopsy for the evaluation, however, and decisions about biopsy must be individualized according to the clinical picture.

Liver Biopsy
Desperate for your view