Worried for kids

I just foud out that I have HCV and am very scared that I may give it to my children. I have read and been told the the virus can survive in dried blood for months. What things should I really watch for?

Response from Dr. Fried

Hepatitis C is not easily transmitted, even with a direct needlestick from a person infected with hepatitis C. Thus, there is almost no risk of transmission to your children through routine household activities. It is recommended to prevent exposure to blood by not sharing nail scissors, toothbrushes, razors, etc. Beyond that no special precautions are required and you should enjoy full activities with your kids.

If you are a woman with HCV, the risk of transmission to your child at the time of birth is also very small. It is recommended that children get tested on one occasion when they are old enough to easily have a simple blood test. It's more for piece of mind than for worry about transmission. You can discuss this with your pediatrician.

occult Hep B
hepatitis