|occult Hep B
Feb 5, 2002
How can occult Hep B be detected in an HIV+ person? There may not be antibodies or surface antigen. Can DNA type test be done, and is that DNA always present in blood? Thanks for advice.
Response from Dr. Dieterich
Yes, DNA is the answer. There is some evidence to suggest that HIV+ persons may not make typical antibodies to HBV. So the answer is to do HBV DNA by PCR not by the old method which is much less sensitive. PCR is the answer! DTD
urgent may i am a carrier !!
Worried for kids
- Who Is At Greater Risk To Get Hiv Top Or Bottom Transmission?
- Does Hiv 3 Months Window Mean 12 Week Or 13 Week?
- What Are The Chances Of Passing Hiv From A Woman To Man?
- Can Herpes Cause Hiv?
- How Soon Can U Get Tested For Hiv After Sharing A Needle?
- How Long Do Symptoms Appear After Exposure To Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.