NO TREATMENT?

I was dx with hep c and neg for hiv 2 years ago. My liver enzymes seem to be normal up to this point. My doctor has said nothing about any treatment.I do have alot of joint pain and fatigue. Should I be concerned and find a new doctor? I had a operation about a year ago and they looked at my liver then and said it looked fine no reason for a biopsy. Where should I go from here. I'm scared out of my witts. Thank You

Response from Dr. Fried

While a normal appearing visual inspection of the liver at the time of surgery makes it unlikely that you have underlying cirrhosis, earlier stages of fibrosis (scarring) may still be present. If your liver enzymes are persistently normal, the risk of significant liver fibrosis is also much less than someone whose enzymes are always elevated. Nevertheless, liver biopsy is often used to prove the extent of liver injury in someone with HCV and liver enzymes that always remain normal.

If you have mild disease by biopsy, treatment in the setting of always normal enzymes remains somewhat controversial. Other factors are taken into account during discussions with your doctor before making decisions about treatment in this situation.

Liver Biopsy
HEP C ANTIBODIES QUESTION