Prothrombin

Dr. I had prothrombin checked at 1 dr who said it was elevated as shown in lab work . Then i had it checked 3 times by a hematologist where it showed normal as he wanted to repeat it to make sure it was a trend. I went back to the dr. who said it was high and again she checked it and it was high again. I go back to the hematologist and he checks it again and it is fine. Could this be caused by not handling the blood properly or does prothrombin tend to fluctuate. If it does how do I know if it is in safe range when I will have biopsy not causing furhter complications.

Response from Dr. Fried

Prothrombin time is a measure of blood clotting function. More than likely, the changes from normal to abnormal and back to normal in an otherwise healthy person or someone with only mild liver disease reflect handling of the specimen at the time the blood is drawn. Your hematologist is the best one to judge what are the true values and the safety of a biopsy in your situation.

transmission methods of hepititis c
Liver Biopsy