HepC/HIV

Dear Dr,

I read that after treatment that Hep C is curable 40 percent of the time if one goes on treatment. Since HIV and HEP C are both DNA viruses why don't we see that in Hiv patients as well. Also, after a person is cured of HEP C does there antibody still remain positive as it does with HEP B.

Thanks,

Response from Dr. Dieterich

HIV and HCV are both RNA viruses. HIV integrates into the host genome, but HCV does not and that is why it can be eradicated. HCV antibody will around for a while after viral eradication, but I have seen it disappear in some patients too. DTD

Pegylated availability.
Accuracy of ELISA at three months of exposure