Is it too late for Hep C treatment

I have been co-infected with HIV and hep C for about 10 years. Diagnose With HIV in 1986 and with hep C in 1991. I am on combination therapy and my CD4 count is around 387. Viral load results not in yet. Hep viral load is over 800,000 and my liver enzymes are 2x normal amount. The hep C has virtually gone untreated until recently that began assertively requesting that the standard for hep tx be followed. I am scheduled to see a liver specialist and my question is: "is it too little to late" or am I still a candidate for treatment? If I am a candidate, should I start now or should I hold off for peg interferon.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

As far as I am concerned, it is never too late. Whether you can wait, until next year from treatment depends on the liver biopsy results that your specialist will likely recommend. That is the question you should ask him or her after you have had the biopsy. HCV is curable even if you have cirrhosis. DTD

Benign symmetrical lipomatosis associated with hepatitis-c and interferon therapy
Treatment for Hep C