Benign symmetrical lipomatosis associated with hepatitis-c and interferon therapy

A couple of months after I started Interferon therapy for Hep-C I started developing painful nodules in my abdomen and along my ribs. My doctor stopped the Interferon for 8 weeks to see if they would go away. They didn't so he started me again. The nodules increased, spread and thickened until my entire abdomen, my breasts and my armpits are filled and swelling. The subcutaneous fat in my arms and legs has become thick, fibrous and ropy.

Now I know lipodystrophy is associated with protease inhibitors but are there other cases associated with people who are only using Interferon? And are there treatments in addition to complete removal of the painful growths?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I have not heard of this happening from interferon. I would contact the manufacturers and see if they have had any case reports. Don't know any treatment other than removal either. Good luck! DTD

painful lymph nodes
Is it too late for Hep C treatment