Blood in urine samples

I am a registered nurse. Recently I had to flush a foley catheter with saline to determine if the catheter was patent. I placed a needle into the port on the foley with approx 30 cc of saline. I did this procedure twice and discovered a small blood clot was my problem for not allowing the urine to flow properly. Once i completed the procedure, the patient moved suddenly and i obtained a needle stick. I have read a great deal of material on HIV not being transmitted by urine but what about blood found in

urine? The patients diagnosis was Brain Tumor, I have no reason to suspect HIV but he has never been tested to my knowledge. Thanks for your help!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If the blood was clotted, it was probably old and less likely to be contagious. It does not sound like a high risk exposure. You should have an HIV antibody test now anyway and then in 6 months to be certain, but I would not worry about it. DTD

By wife has hep c
Sorry to bother you!