HIV prevention!

I am not sure if you know any legal standings on HIV prevention, but I heard that a doctor must tell their patient if they have HIV, but it is not necessary for a patient to tell the doctor that is treating them. Is this true? and if so where could I find out more information on this topic. Thanks for your time. -Nicki

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Nicki,

It is not ethical for an MD to withhold information from a patient about that patient's health. However, it is not smart on a patient's part to withhold information from the MD, it may affect the medical decision-making and adversely affect the patient. Truth is the best policy in both directions. DTD

I need help
JENNIE