DEEP PUNCTURE NEEDLE STICK BY KNOWN HIV PATIENT

I RECENTLY WAS DRAWING BLOOD ON AN HIV PATIENT. HER CD4 COUNT IS 800, AND A LOW VIRAL LOAD. THIS TOOK PLACE ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO. I WAS AT HER HOME AND LAY THE SYRINGE DOWN AND HER CHILD WENT TO GRAB IT. I WENT TO GET THE NEEDLE AWAY FROM HER CHILD AND I GOT NOT ONLY STUCK, BUT ABOUT 8CC'S OF HER BLOOD WENT IN ME. I KNOW THAT I ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION I GUESS, BUT I HAVE TO ASK ANYHOW. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF NOW HAVING HIV? ALSO, WILL 2 WEEKS BE ENOUGH TIME FOR AN HIV TEST TO SHOW ME HIV POSITIVE NOW? I HAVE PREPARED MYSELF FOR THE ANSWER THAT YES, I AM GOING TO HAVE HIV NOW. I HAD A PARTNER WHILE WORKING AS A PARAMEDIC GET JUST A BARE AMOUNT OF BLOOD IN A NEEDLE STICK AND HE BECAME HIV POS. SO WITH THE AMOUNT OF BLOOD THAT WENT INTO MY BODY, I HAVE NO DOUBT. I GUESS, REALLY MY BIG QUESTION IS HOW SOON WILL THE HIV BEGIN TO TAKE AFFECT?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

You need to start taking HIV medication RIGHT NOW! If you begin prophylaxis within 72 hours you may prevent the infection altogether. If you start now you will certainly influence the course of the infection if you have it. Not every needlestick even a good one like yours will transmit HIV, particularly when prophylactic antivirals are taken. Good luck, and go see your HIV trained MD ASAP! DTD

Hepatitis C protocol
Should I start standard combo again or wait for pegylated: