hep A vaccine effective?

Dear Dr. Dieterich, I recently got the first shot of the hep A vaccine, and I have two questions. 1) Is my viral load expected to rise temporarily because of it? I have heard that it does with the flu shot. My current level is about 200 copies. 2) Being that my T cells are not that high (~250), will I get the necessary immunological response for long term protection? How long will the protection last? Is 6 month the appropriate waiting period for the next booster in my case? Thanks for a great, informative site. Gerry

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Gerry,

The data so far seems to indicate that HIV+ people respond to Hepatitis A vaccine just as well as HIV- people do. So go ahead and follow up with the 6 months vaccine. No reports of HIV increases after vaccine, but the risk would be worth it to be protected. You can ask your MD to check your antibody level a few months after your second vaccine. Good luck! DTD

can breast milk transfer hiv?
Hepatitis C protocol