Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis D,E,F,G etc.???
Oct 28, 2000

My girlfriend had unprotected sex to a man two years ago. That man used to work as gay prostitute and also took drugs(by injecting) as my girlfriend found out later. She got tested for HIV and HBV and HCV. Luckily all tests were negative. Recently, I read about Hepatitis D, E, F and G in a scientific biochemical text at university. Now I am a bit worried because of her high risk contact 2 years ago and my new knowledge of the existence of these types of hepatitis. My questions concerning hepatitis D-G are now: 1)Are there many infected people? (Especially in Europe because I am from Germany.) 2)Are there also groups with higher risk to carry the viruses? (Like gay men, prostitutes, drug addicted people etc. in the case of HIV.) 3)Are there already routine tests to detect antibodies or the genetic material (DNA/RNA) of the viruses D-G? 4)Are there vaccinations for hepatitis D-G? 5)Are hepatitis D-G transmitted via sexual contacts (including oral sex)? 6)What are the general ways of transmission of Hep D-G? 7)Are the diseases acute or chronic? 8)Are there any aftereffects like cancer or liver cirrhosis in the case of hepatitis B? 9)How do you assess the risk for my girlfriend (she had vaginal sex with the "risky" man) and me (I had unprotected oral sex with my girlfriend so far) to have possibly caught hepatitis D, E, F or G ??? I know I have a lot of questions. Nevertheless, I would appreciate if you would answer them because I am really worried. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good questions. Basically, hepatitis D or delta cannot exist without the presence of hepatitis B. It is common in mediterranean Europe mostly, but elsewhere too. Like B it can be sexually transmitted and will make B worse. Hepatitis E is waterborne and exists mostly in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan and is not spread person to person. F turned out to be the same as E. G is a lot like C and is spread by needles, so far no data on sexual transmission. However G does not appear to cause long term harm. You and she can get vaccinated for hepatitis A and B and I would recommend it. Good luck DTD

Previous
Stop Hiv Treatment while on Pegintron/Riba
Next
Side effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.