For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Just learned I'm HIV & HVC positive

I recently learned from a routine physical that I'm both HIV and HVC positive. I understand this is relatively common.Needless to say I'm very worried. Is this a death sentence? My Internist referred me to a infectious disease specialist and a liver specialist within the same med group. Am I on the right track? What can I expect? Do you have any particular advice?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It sounds like you are being well advised. Each disease needs to be evaluated separately and each person needs to be evaluated individually. HCV is treatable and curable! HIV is eminently treatable now too. Neither one alone or together are a death sentence. Good luck! DTD

testing false positive for HIV
Stop Hiv Treatment while on Pegintron/Riba