TREAT HCV or HIV????

I'm confused by my doctor's stance on HCV treatment. I have been HIV positive for twelve years, but maintain, without antiretrovirals, a viral load of around 20,000 and a CD4 count of over 600. My HCV viral load is two million. He refuses to treat the HCV until I do the antiretroviral thing and get down to an undetectable viral load. Since we all know by now that the HIV antiretrovirals often are very hard on the liver - it makes more sense to me to at least try to eradicate the HCV and THEN begin HIV treatment, hopefully with a healthier, possibly HCV free, liver. Do you agree?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

That sounds perfectly rational to me. The interferon and ribavirin actually have some HIV effect, so there is nothing lost in terms of HIV treatment. I would also like to see your biopsy report, but there is no reason that you have to treat HIV first. Good luck! DTD

Blood test positive/westernblot negative
transmission of hep C to baby?