HIV & Hepatitis B

Dear Dr. Dieterich, I wonder what is the correlation between HIV and hepatitis B. After reading a number of question in this forum, I know that hepatitis B seems to be more infectious than HIV and it is transmitted in the similar way of HIV. So, is it very common for a person infected with HIV and hepatitis B at the same time? Is that any literature showing the relationship and relevant data?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

About 10-15% of HIV infected persons are infected with HBV, considerably less than HCV. There is literature in the medical press about this, but not much. Our current problem is 3TC resistant HBV, in people with HIV who have been taking 3TC for years. There are some trials on the horizon for this coming in the spring. DTD

Interferon Treatment