Interferon Treatment

Dear Dr. Dieterich:

Thank you in advance for your help. I am infected with HEPC (as well as A and B) and HIV. In 1997 I had a biopsy which showed a 1 of 4 progression. Last week I had another biopsy which showed no further damage. My HIV is under control with no viral load for over three years. At the present time, however, my HepC load is over 1 million. I took a semester off from law school to ponder my choices. Do you think I should attempt Interferon/Ribaviron treatment? As I stated, your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

A.B.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear A.B.

It is not an emergency to treat your hepatitis C and it seems to be stalled in damaging your liver. It also seems that you are receiving really good care. If I were you I would wait until pegylated interferon is available early next year and then go for it. None of us is getting any younger and the older you get, the less likely you are to respond, and this will be the biggest step in a few years in therapy. Good luck! DTD

LESBIANS AND HEPATITIS C
HIV & Hepatitis B