For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

85y/o male w/ hepatitis C what are TX options?

my 85 y/o father was just diagnosed w/ Hepatitis C. through bloodwork done to determine cause of his hands swelling.His doctor says that there is nothing he can do. Besides anemia & hip surgery 6 months ago he is relatively healthy. What should I do?

Response from Dr. Fried

It's wonderful that your father is so healthy (I assume the cause of anemia has been evaluated). When we make decisions about who to consider for treatment, one factor we consider is the likelihood of hepatitis C ultimately harming the patient and what are the chances that treatment for HCV would alter the natural course of his disease or lifespan/quality of life. We weigh this information against the potential side effects of the treatments. Thus, at the age of 85, I would not recommend therapy for HCV. It's always a good idea to discuss these issues with your father's doctors to get their perspective.

need some piece of mind