Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Non-Responder to Interferon and then Combo-Therapy
Nov 13, 2000

I was diagnosed with HCV about three years ago with a PCR of about 1 million copies/. I went on the interferon Alpha alone, which was the only legal treatment for eight months. Then the FDA approved the Rebetron, which I started immediately for six more months. After treatment, my enzymes were normal and then the PCR came back at 10,000 copies. I had had a biopsy before any treatment which was described as mild scarring to my liver. I had my gall bladder removed so I had a good picture of my liver and it appeared with white spots that looked like the mumps maybe. I just had my first PCR a year after treatment ended and the PCR was back up to a million copies. My doctor don't tell me anything. I had to ask for my viral load every time I got it. Now he says that no further biopsies are needed. I haven't even had another enzyme test. The only reason I am continuing with him is he told me he would write a letter to try to help me get on disability. After I spent 200,000.00 of my retirement, he figures he has done his job , I guess. I thought he was a friend but since the tx failed he acts like he don't even want to see me. Do you think Infergen would be worth a try? This is my life. It might not mean much to him, but it means everything to me. All I can do is pray. He never has told me what to eat, medicine I can take or not take, herbs I should not take, as he knows I take a lot of herbs. He just looks at me and shakes his head. A hospital gave me blood with this virus. I didn't ask for it. I just want someone to tell me when I might die.

Thanks,

Steve

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Steve,

None of us can tell you when you might die, that's not our decision. However, you may have a chance for treatment with the new pegylated interferon with ribavirin which should be coming soon. It also sounds like you need a new MD. There must be someone else in your town with some compassion. As for the other stuff, it is not rocket science. Do what your mother would tell you. No alcohol, good balanced diet, plenty of rest exercise and fluids and think positive! DTD

Previous
entecavir & hep B
Next
CD4 count, EBV, Toxoplasma, CMV, Hepatitis A and H. Pylori

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.