Should i wait for pegylated interferon?

Hi Dr....I have hiv (no meds for it yet) and hepC (treated it from oct1 to midDec99...then continued 1 extra month of just interferon 5x week. my hepc vl went from 850,000 down to 2.500 and cd4 down to 300 from 550. It's back up to 610 now. It eve brought my hiv vl down from 19.000 to's back up to 2500 now. My dr wants me to wait for the pegylated interferon. I have stage 3 fibrosis. Should i consider starting the standard combo again now or do i have enough time to wait for pegylated? I'm still nauseus and have a very sore neck...seems like arthritis to me that happend during combo and continues. What can i take for the sore neck? My dr give me marinol and something that starts with a "c" for the nausea. the marinol doesn't really get rid of the just give me the munchiess...which is kinda weird having nausea and munchies/wanting to eat all at the same time! Any input you can give me would help. I'm just feeling that something should be going on now while my dr is waiting to see what to do. I have 1A-1B genotype. thanks, vroom

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Vroom,

Sounds like you are suffering from something else other than side effects if you have been off medicine for a year. A grade 3 biopsy should not wait too long. We are expecting approval in the next several months for the pegs but it is not clear exactly when that will be. I would ask your MD for an NSAID for your neck pain, most of which are fine on the liver in moderation. There would be nothing lost if you started the combo now and then switched to peg when it was available,unless you are trying to get into a trial. Good luck! DTD

HIV+ Hepatitis C
hep c and hiv antibodies