HIV+ Hepatitis C

I have been HIV+ for over 10 years, last test 30,000 VL and CD4 of 700. Have not had any OI's from the HIV that I know of except Thrush on and off, and I have not taken any antiretrovirals of HIV medications. I had my spleen removed in 1995 because of low platelets. My doctor tells me that my Hep C viral load test is 1,300,000 (one-million-three-hundred thousand) at this time. He said there is much conflict in the Infectious Disease world right now about treating both HIV and HCV simultaneously. Wouldn't it seem better to treat the HCV first, to (hopefully) help the liver regain health, and then treat the HIV (we're all aware that many of the HIV drugs are awfully hard on the liver). And is a Hep C vl of 1,300,000 high enough to warrant treatment? Thanks so much for your forum.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Any amount of HCV is enough to warrant treatment in my opinion. If you are not treating the HIV now, it seems wise to tackle the HCV. There are trials now with pegylated interferon that are doing just that. It is not controversial by the way to treat both viruses, just not to start treating both at the same time. Go for it! DTD

Paxil and Trazadone Effects on Liver (with Hep C + HIV)
Should i wait for pegylated interferon?