Coinfection and Testing

I have read that coinfection of HIV and Hepatitis may effect the 3 to 6 month window period, which would require testing beyond the 6 month period. I think I read a section on this website or on another website that about 40% of those infected with HIV maybe infected with the HCV due to IV drug users. If this is the case, after how many months would someone have to wait to ensure that the test is truly negative? And why would they state that at 6 months the accuracy for detecting the antibody is close to 99%? Thank you for informative forum and your time! Curious.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Curious,

Nothing in medicine is ever 100%. If someone is waiting for the test, they can always have a PCR test for both HIV and HCV and lay the matter to rest. They would be positive by week 2 after infection (usually). DTD

Infectiousness of Hepatitis-B/HIV during acute infection
Where to get DNA PCR test for Hepatitis B?