Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Coinfection and Testing
Nov 13, 2000

I have read that coinfection of HIV and Hepatitis may effect the 3 to 6 month window period, which would require testing beyond the 6 month period. I think I read a section on this website or on another website that about 40% of those infected with HIV maybe infected with the HCV due to IV drug users. If this is the case, after how many months would someone have to wait to ensure that the test is truly negative? And why would they state that at 6 months the accuracy for detecting the antibody is close to 99%? Thank you for informative forum and your time! Curious.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Curious,

Nothing in medicine is ever 100%. If someone is waiting for the test, they can always have a PCR test for both HIV and HCV and lay the matter to rest. They would be positive by week 2 after infection (usually). DTD

Previous
Infectiousness of Hepatitis-B/HIV during acute infection
Next
Where to get DNA PCR test for Hepatitis B?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.